After many weeks of beta testing, the mobile development team is happy to announce this week’s release of notifications on the mobile site. Logged in users can now receive notifications on the mobile versions of Wikimedia sites just like they can on the desktop sites. This will allow mobile users to stay up-to-date on events and activities that affect them on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
Currently supported notifications include:
- Talk page messages: when a message is left on your user talk page;
- Mentions: when your user name is mentioned on a talk page;
- Page reviews: when a page you created is reviewed;
- Page links: when a page you created is linked;
- Edit reverts: when your edits are undone or rolled back;
- Thanks: when someone thanks you for your edit;
- User rights: when your user rights change;
- Welcome: when you create a new account;
- Getting started: easy ways for new users to start editing.
To try out notifications on mobile, log in to one of the mobile websites, such as en.m.wikipedia.org, and look for the icon in the top right corner of your screen (see screenshot). If you have new notifications, a red badge will be displayed on the icon. Clicking on the icon will take you to the notifications archive page. We are currently working on a new overlay interface for notifications on mobile that will allow you to read your new notifications without leaving the page you are on. Expect to the see the new interface rolled out some time in the next few weeks.
The release of notifications on mobile is part of a gradual process of bringing feature parity to the mobile websites. We want both readers and editors to feel comfortable using the mobile sites and able to accomplish most, if not all, of the same tasks they typically perform on the desktop sites. In the future, expect to see better support for talk pages, page history, and diff views, as well as further improvements to our editing and uploading interfaces on mobile. As always, we welcome your feedback and comments. Tell us what you think on Twitter @WikimediaMobile or on IRC in the #wikimedia-mobile channel.
Note that mobile notifications currently only work on sites that have the Echo extension enabled (en.wikipedia, fr.wikipedia, hu.wikipedia, pl.wikipedia, pt.wikipedia, sv.wikipedia, and Meta-wiki). Echo should be deployed to all language Wikipedias in the near future.