Major news in June include:
- the Berlin hackathon, the largest gathering of Wikimedia technologists to-date, co-organized with Wikimedia Deutschland;
- the June milestone release of the Visual Editor and Parsoid to mediawiki.org;
- the mobile team kicking off app development for Wiki Loves Monuments
- the launch of IPv6 support for all Wikimedia projects.
- Approximately 104 participants from 30 countries came to Berlin, including MediaWiki developers, Toolserver users, systems administrators, bot writers and maintainers, Gadget creators, and other Wikimedia technologists. The community also learned more about the Wikidata and RENDER projects. More updates, links to videos, and followups are on the talk page.
- Open source teaching nonprofit OpenHatch will be aiding in organizing and running this two-day event, with Katie Filbert, Gregory Varnum, and Sumana Harihareswara. Experienced Wikimedia technologists will collaborate on their own projects, while interested new developers will be able to learn introductory MediaWiki development. Accessibility will be one of the event themes. The event is free to attend even for those not attending Wikimania itself.